Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Stately DJ WAYNE MANOR @ GaragePunk NYC, St. Patty's Eve Bash at Don Pedro, Brooklyn

So, yours truly flew into JFK on Saturday March 16th around 3pm amidst a minor snow flurry... than headed out into the concrete jungle. I made my way through the MTA to Metropolitan Ave. in Brooklyn where I was take a pit stop at Pete's new place (Incidentally, Pete is from roots rock band NCM and had previously helped me get THE HARPY's some shows and crash space in New Paltz). I got his girlfriend on the station payphone who had arranged for me to get a key from the guy in the art studio on the first floor. I spent two hours in their flat showering, freshening up and organizing my shit for the night to come. I headed out around 6:30, handed the key to the painting teacher I got it from and started walking... in the wrong direction. I got directions outside an L station and took the train to Bedfrod, met my parents right on time at 7pm and we all went out for dinner. Then we headed for Don Pedro... got frantically lost & had to 411 the place, but we got there well before show time. Met Jake Noodles (I had known him from WLWL with Rico, a Japanese cat that he had been in the band with and had more recently opened the Mystery Train vintage clothing shop which is now located in the basement of Don Pedro). Waited for DJ Shimmy to show up with needles for the tables and then got busy spinning some tunes from the Far East!



My first set was all Japanese garage punk from the modern era, meaning the classics like Guitar Wolf, Supersnazz & Teengenerate along with lesser knowns like The Evil Hoodoo & Goggle-A (doing a GS rendition of France Gall's "Poupee de Cire"). I threw in a couple more punk stuff like The Jet Boys, and since it was St. Patrick's Eve, Oi-Skallmates covering The Pogues' "Dirty Old Town," with a bit of a ska touch. Being my first night back in NY in two and a half years I hadda play "New York Groove" from Ronnie's (5678's) one-off single with The Devil Dogs. My set ended when local NYers The Neighbors creeped on stage and played some raunchy originals.



I blasted my next set out with a wild shamisen/eleki guitar combo by Ventures style surf guitarman Takeshi Terauchi matching wits with a shamisen master. I followed up with The Tigers and then some more mod-ish garage tunes by The Other Five, The Fenways, The You Know Who Group, The Sidekicks and more! I mixed in some Japanese GS stuff by the likes of Takeshi Terauchi (again!) & the Bunnys and The Carnabeats which seems to flow better with danceable freakbeat a bit more than straight forward pounding 60's punk thumpers. I had great fun playing these tunes from across the seven seas and I was very happy to have some people come up to me and ask what exactly spinning!



Cheers, to DJ Shimmy from GaragePunkNYC.com who ran that show, DJ Grace O'Spades who spun a chic mix of glam & powerpop after me and all the bands that played Don Pedro the eve of St. Patrick's Day 2013! See more photos at the GPNYC blog here: http://blog.garagepunknyc.com/2013/03/st-pattys-photos-othermen-born-loose-neighbors-don-pedro.html

No comments:

Post a Comment